College Yoga Sessions – Jason Falconer
• Opening-Balasana = Childs Pose – Benefits: releases frustration, calming, releasing tension in base posture, promotes inward awareness focus.
• Opening sequence of – Svana asana = Dog+ variations / Balasana = Childs Pose
Half dog transitions / Balasana = Childs Pose
Side bends / twisting / Balasana = Childs Pose
Phalak asana = Plank – Rectifies the static position of spinal column, strengthens muscles located along spinal column and abdominal muscles / Balasana = Childs Pose.
Phalak asana = Plank or/ Chaturanga Dandasana – Four Limbed Staff (option) Benefits: strengthens co-ordinated movement of entire musculature / tones all the core muscles of the body / strengthens triceps biceps and laterals / strengthens wrist joints / Balasana = Childs Pose
Vasistha Asana = Side Plank (option) -increases sense of balance, rectifies posture of pelvis.
• Vinyasa = Sequence of – Svana asana= Dog + Urdhva Mukha Svana Asana = Upward Facing Dog options in Sequence / Benefits: develops muscles of the legs and arms. Develops rib cage volume and respiratory capacity. Improves digestion Balasana = Childs Pose
• Svana asana= Dog + Urdhva Mukha Svana Asana = Upward Facing Dog options to Svana Asana = Downward facing dog in Sequence / Benefits: rectifies the static position of the spine / maintains intervertebral spaces and prevents slipped discs / strengthens muscles located along the spinal column and develops rib cage volume. Balasana = Childs Pose.
• Vinyasa = Sequence step to Eka Pada Rajakpotasana = Pigeon / Deep hip opening. Balasana = Childs Pose.
• Vinyasa = Sequence step to Anjaneyasana = Lunge –options. Balasana = Childs Pose.
• Vinyasa = Sequence step to Parivritta Parsvakonanasana = Revolved sidelunge. Benefits: Contracts abdominal organs and aids digestion. Balasana = Childs Pose.
• Vinyasa = Sequence step to Vira Bhadra Asana = Warrior 2 – benefits: Increases sense of balance / all benefits of previous posture / promotes mental attention / reduces mental excitement / walking hands to Prasarita Pada Utthana Asana = Spread legged Forward Fold. Benefits: Improves arterial circulation of heart and brain / deepens opening of hip and pelvic joints and back to Vira Bhadra Asana = Warrior 2 other side. Balasana = Childs Pose.
• Vinyasa = Sequence step up to Ardha Chandra asana = Half Moon Posture. Benefits: exercises the balance reflex and awareness of hip alignment. Balasana = Childs Pose .
• Vajra asana = Easy Hero / alternate sides / Full hero (option). Benefits: as above plus strengthening knee joints. Or Badda Kona Asana = Cobbler. Benefits: makes supple pelvis joints and helps childbirth / prevents and reduces prostratic hypertrophy. Improves digestion and intestinal elimination. Balasana = Childs Pose Rest
Shashanka Asana = Hare – Benefits: relieves tension in cervical spine / opens shoulders.
• Finishing – Sava asana = Corpse posture. Benefits: posture destroys fatigue and quiets agitation of the mind, conscious relaxation invigorates and refreshes body and mind. Finally warming hands rubbing palms together then opening eyes into dark space.
back to yoga coaching